Monday, July 29, 2013

You Can't Find That At An Automat





A few weeks ago a staff member where I work said that every time they saw me with my hat on it reminded them of the Edward Hopperexhibition they had seen at The Whitney. Although many interpretations of Hopper’s works discuss the melancholy and bleak qualities present in the scenes and figures he painted, reflective of the turbulent times he lived through and his emotional states, to me his works are also tinged with light, humor and the promise of better times. I’ve always liked Hopper’s works, particularly his scenes of American life and his seascapes. Each painting sort of contextualizes itself, a snapshot of a particular scene, a glimpse of someone’s life or a place in time. When I arrived at work today, that same staff member showed me The Automaton their iPad and said “See, this is the one I meant."  I’m not entirely sure that the woman in this painting looks like me but I take any reference to a painting by an artist I love as a compliment. Oh, and I really like her hat!
By the way, there’s a line I adore in Frank Sinatra’s An Old Fashioned Christmas that says “you’ll have to take my word, you can’t find that at the automat." A bit of a tangent but this one line reminds me of some of Hopper’s paintings….a longing for a different time or some need to hang onto something of the past as the world seems to change in the blink of an eye.
Image Source for The Automat
Outfit Details:
Tights: Hue

No comments:

Post a Comment