Friday, July 19, 2013

Packing for a Conference: A Look Inside My Luggage

I used to be pretty terrible at packing….mostly indecisive and always packing too much. I kind of feel like being terrible at packing is a stage many of us go through and for the most part, end up growing out of. For me, part of getting better at packing has to do with an improved ability to put together outfits and to style outfits that work for a variety of occasions. In my teens and early 20s, it was more about having a lot of options, rather than working with a few key pieces. I must have had more patience back then because I didn’t mind checking luggage, whereas now I only pack a carry-on.

When thinking about what to pack for a 4 day/3 conference, I first considered the different events that would be taking place. In my mind I needed to choose 5 outfits:

1) an outfit for the flight from LGA to MKE/from MKE to LGA (e.g. Paige denim Kylie Cropped Retro Cruiser Skinny and Michael Kors Oxford Gingham Shirt)

Bonus:: Not only is this outfit super comfortable, I discovered that it made it a lot easier for my car service driver to find me at LGA….pink gingham shirt and beige bicycle print jeans definitely stands out from the other descriptions people give of what they happen to be wearing at the airport.


3) the kickoff evening event at the Milwaukee Art Museum (Fashion Star Dress in Aztec Print at Macy’s)



I never pack more than two pairs of shoes. For the conference, I choose two pairs that work as neutrals (but are definitely not boring) and which I know from prior experiences are really comfortable.

Tights and cardigans are a must when your conference takes place in a hotel during the summer time. Air conditioning is always on full blast in these places…..even with the additional layering it was pretty chilly.

I try to select outfits that I know will stay mostly wrinkle free and which don’t require much fussing to get on (e.g. shirtdresses, side-zips and/or back-zips that are easy to deal with). Generally, I also avoid packing any light, scarf-like materials….they may seem ideal since they take up almost no room in your luggage but they can easily catch on other things in your luggage and just don’t hold up to a busy conference schedule. I also like adding a couple t-shirts to my carry-on, in this case J Crew’s Perfect Fit T-shirts in neon guava and black, as I think they are a simple way to layer and give a dress a whole new look.

Along with these items, I packed a couple favorite necklaces and earrings, a watch, a pair of sunglasses and Kate Spade’s gingham mini iPad folio.

Here’s a look at what I packed:Conference Outfits - Museum Professionals

image
Goofy presentation smile
image
Back in NYC (looking a little disheveled but happy to be back)!

No comments:

Post a Comment