Sunday, July 7, 2013

Gothic Infusion













Anne Rice "Servant of the Bones" book signing (long ago) in New Orleans

For two days I’ve tried to check out Matt Buck’s A(Part) exhibition at the Last Rites Gallery but it seems I’m destined not to see it. On Saturday I arrived way too early, thinking that they had the same hours as most other galleries. When I got home I called to check if they were open on Sunday and confirmed that they opened at 2pm. The gallery isn’t too far from my apartment, but in the blazing heat even a minute outside is almost unbearable. I got to the gallery right at 2pm…took the creepy elevator up to the 3rd floor…no one around…really unnerving…waited….finally, left at 2:30pm partly because there was no air conditioning, partly because I was slightly freaked out but mostly because I was annoyed.
Thinking that I’d actually be seeing A(Part) today, I included some Gothic Victorian touches into my outfit. I’ve had this simple, light as air shift dress for almost 20 years. I remember finding it at some vintage store up North in cottage country one summer. When my mom and I visited New Orleans to celebrate my High School graduation I practically lived in this dress, wearing it to everything from early morning cafe runs, a walking tour of the Garden District and an Anne Rice book signing (photo above). It’s still the perfect thing to reach for on hot, humid days even though it has faded slightly over the years.  
Outfit Details:
Dress (old) - vintage/thrifted (similar idea here)
Eyelet blouse with puffed sleeves (old) - Eyelet Dahlia Blouse Mise en Scene by Ruffian, Anthropologie
Shoes (indoor) - Halogen Frisco Flats from Nordstrom (similar here)
Crystal skull necklace (old) - purchased somewhere in the French Quarter, New Orleans (similar here)
Skull and bone earrings (old) - not sure where these are from (similar here and here)
Cameo choker (old) - Kaufman’s Department Store (similar here)


No comments:

Post a Comment