Saturday, July 13, 2013

The City Quilter and New York Fabrics





















I’m a little obsessed with fabric that depicts scenes from actual places, particularly cities I love.  In my wardrobe, We Love Vera’s New York, New York dress and Kate Spade’s Picnic Mariella dress are my favorite NYC inspired ones. A few times while roaming the city I noticed a great NYC themed dress in the window of some random shop…every time it turned out that the dress was just for display, no one really sure where the fabric came from. And then one night fairly recently, I heard about all the NYC fabrics at the The City Quilter (W 25 between 7th and 6th Ave.).
The City Quilter began their “City Collection" in 2009, creating and selling their own unique NYC iconographic fabrics. Most recently, they created some fabrics in honor of Grand Central Terminal’s 100th Anniversary.  
I visited the store today and purchased a few yards of both Susy’s New York fabric and the Grand Central Terminal Constellations in aqua fabric. My plan is to make two dresses out of the fabric; I’m thinking a similar shape and fit to the Two Wheeler Dress from Anthropologie. I wish I could say I have my mom’s talent for sewing but I do not, and my mom no longer does much sewing. The City Quilter gave me a list of people who take on commissions though so I will definitely be looking into that.  In the mean time, while I’m on the search for someone to make a couple of dresses from these fabrics, I’m going to go exploring in some of the Fashion District’s button shops. I’d love to find some red apple or yellow taxi cab buttons for Susy’s New York fabric and some some iridescent stars for the constellation fabric.  It may be awhile before either dress gets made but I’m so glad I picked up some fabric while it’s still available.
If you haven’t visited this store, you should go! They have an amazing selection of fabrics, threads, sewing kits and more, plus they teach classes in their shop. There’s even a little quilt art gallery right beside it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment