Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Museum Studies Dress







Museum Studies Dress….at least, that’s how I always refer to this dress. Looking at the botanical print, you may wonder why I would call it “museum studies." But it’s the memories attached to the dress, not the print, that makes me refer to the dress in that way. It’s the memories I associate with the dress that makes this one of my favorites.
The 2 years spent in the Master of Museum Studies program at the University of Toronto were memorable for many reasons; being involved in the Museum Studies Graduate Student Association was one of the things that made it memorable and getting to know so many museum studiers was the absolute highlight. Two exciting years filled with challenges, successes, new ideas and experiences and a lot of fun! At our graduation celebration at the Roosevelt Room, my wonderful classmates/colleagues/friends surprised me with a gift bag and card from one of my favorite stores….it was a major surprise, hence the super awkward photo below. The result of this lovely gift was this dress, and every time I wear it I think of how fortunate I’ve been to be part of such a great program and to meet such wonderful people!
It’s interesting how we ascribe meaning to clothing and other objects…how wearing a particular item can transport back in time to a certain event or trigger memories of people we’ve lost touch with or connect us to family members we never met.
Do you have a piece of clothing that holds special memories for you?
Outfit Details:
Black t-shirt - from a dance store
Bow earrings (old) - My Nana’s (similar here)
Necklace (old)- had forever and not sure where it’s from (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment