Friday, July 12, 2013

Fashion Bucket List







I don’t know when/where the term “fashion bucket list" was coined but over the years I definitely have put a few items on my radar/wishlist that would qualify to be on that sort of list.
Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats were on that list for a long time and I was thrilled when I finally added a pair to my collection last fall. Every season I would look at the latest versions of these flats and inevitably they would sell out before I could make a decision about whether to buy a pair and/or choose a color/type from the ones available.  I remember one time in Toronto being really close to buying a pair and visiting all the stores carrying them only to discover my size was sold out. I suppose I could have purchased a pair online but unless I know a brand really well I really don’t like buying a pair of shoes without trying them on first.  
After a few years of this I was thinking that perhaps me + mouse flats was not meant to be. But then these rosy metallic gold stud adorned mouse flats showed up and I knew these were the ones I had been *really* waiting for.  I ended up finding them at Lord and Taylor and with one of the store coupons received 25% off. The shoes I had been dreaming of at a discount…I was sold! Even after many wears, I have to confess that I still smile and am amused when I happen to look down at my feet and see these little mouse faces looking back at me. 
One thing I should point about these shoes is that they run wide and sizing down doesn’t really help. I don’t think all of the Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats are like this (e.g. probably not the ones with elasticized trim) but these ones are.  When I first started wearing them my feet would flip out of the shoe which was really annoying. I tried stuffing a bit of tissue paper in the toe to keep my feet from moving around but that was pretty uncomfortable. I ended up trying some of the Dr. Scholl’s For Her Ball of Foot Cushions (thanks to my mom for recommending!) and the difference is amazing; not only do my feet stay in the shoe but the shoes remain comfortable after 9+ hours of wear.  Genius product…I actually didn’t think the Dr. Scholl’s cushions would help much but WOW!
In terms of styling, what I love about these shoes are the possibilities to play with a mix of sweet and edgy designs. Yesterday, for example, I wore them with black metallic gold flecked tights, a pleated partially sheer shirtdress, macaroon emblazoned t-shirt, and a punchy cardigan (black mesh, punchy colors, bold floral print and oversized buttons? Yes!).  For me, the shoes tie all these seemingly disconnected pieces together. It’s nice when something you’ve waited for turns out to be well worth the wait….one of the fun things about crossing something off the fashion bucket list.
Do you have a fashion bucket list? If you do, what’s on your list?
Cardigan (old) - Bluebells Awaken Cardigan, Plenty by Tracy Reese, Anthropologie (found on a pop back on the website for around $30…love when that happens)
Tights (old) - DKNY Metallic tights
Shoes (old) - Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats (sampling of current options here)

No comments:

Post a Comment