Saturday, July 13, 2013

Finding a Hair Salon in NYC Takes Some Persistence

After finding a place to live in NYC, the next most challenging things is finding a hair salon.
image
In the year and a half since I’ve lived in NYC I’ve been continually on the hunt for a hair salon. I loved my hair salon and stylist in Toronto (Civello on Queen St. W) and knew it would be hard to find one I liked as much. If my hair was longer when I moved here finding a salon wouldn’t have been such a priority. But with a pixie cut, hair can get kind of crazy without regular appointments, generally every 6 to 8 weeks is recommended. A couple of times I managed to stretch the time between appointments to 9 weeks thanks to one of those Remington trimmers. Unlike long hair, a bad haircut is not so easily masked when you are going for a super short cut…there’s literally not enough hair to cover up any mistakes or make changes. (You can read my musings on the pixie cut here)
I’ve tried 4 different salons in NYC so far (West Vibe, Salon Ruggeri, Scott J. Aveda Salon, and Cutler) and while I liked all of them for different reasons (sometimes the reasonable price, sometimes the atmosphere and others time the friendly stylist and/or staff), it wasn’t until I tried Cutler on W 57 that I think I’ve found the one.
The location is super convenient for me so that’s definitely a big plus since some of the other salons I tried were a bit of a trek. Pricing wise they are not the most inexpensive of the salons I’ve tried but also not the most expensive so they seem within reason. Of course the best part is that I actually leave the salon happy with my cut, and even better that I still like the cut days, even weeks later. I noticed that the stylists at Cutler all really listen to what their clients want and never rush a haircut just to get a few more clients in.
In the fall/winter, I’ll probably start to grow my hair out a bit more but till then it’s good to know that I won’t have any haircut disasters.
It’s hard to believe that not so long ago my hair was this long
image
Here’s the length I might aim for in the near future…or a bit shorter than this
image
Current, freshly cut hair
image
Pixie cut inspiration…a few favorite haircuts
Mia Farrow
image
Mia Wasikowska
image
Ginnifer Goodwin
image
Emma Watson
image
Jean Seberg
image

No comments:

Post a Comment