Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ice Cream Social










This dress reminds me of a beachside carnival with its colorful chevrons and draping.  The fabric is really light, almost like the kind of material used to make kites or pendant banners.  I could imagine this material being used to make little flags for a fleet of toy sailboats as it catches the slightest breeze and feels light as a feather.
I found it at Steps in the South Street Seaport, the same place where I found these pants.  It may not be the most well constructed dress (and in fact resembles more of large shirt without the tie belt), but It more than makes up for that with its happy coloring and easy-going nature.  Also, it was $10! Even though I had this dress for a couple of months, I just wore it this past weekend as the weather finally seemed appropriate for such a summery look. I actually wore it to an Ice Cream Social event at work and was kind of amused that the dress fit with the decor. I do like a good theme….
Anyways, it just goes to show you that personal style is all about what you like; there are no rules. One day you might wear a high end dress by a specific designer and the next a super inexpensive one with no label, or you may even mix things up (something I love doing). There are no trends or colors of the year in style. It’s all about choosing what appeals you, and not caring whether it’s “in" fashion or not.
Outfit Details:
Dress: Steps
Jean leggings (old): BCBG (other jean leggings here)
Earrings (old): somewhere along Queen Street West, Toronto
Necklace (old): detachable detail from a dress

No comments:

Post a Comment