Saturday, August 17, 2013

Wear What You Like



















































































































































































































































When I was in kindergarten and elementary school I used to get teased about having skinny legs, more often by certain relatives but occasionally other children. It annoyed me but it didn't really stop me from wearing shorts and sundresses or participating in gymnastics and dance classes. Even as a young kid I did my own thing no matter what anyone else said, and that included wearing whatever I wanted.  I definitely became more  hyper aware of certain remarks as I grew up and moved into adulthood which is pretty typical I think. And then of course all the noise from peers and societal preferences start pouring in, like what's on trend, is this right for my size/shape/age/coloring and all the rest of it.  While I can't admit to fully being able to tune all of that out, I definitely think I managed to continue being myself and dressing how I wanted to.  My point is, wear what you like because you're the one wearing it so why not like what you wear.

Today, for example, I decided to wear one of my favorite skirts. I love everything about it: the bright green, the embroidery, the shape, the material and even the length.  It's also a great spring to summer to fall transitional piece. Yes, it's a little on the short side and probably according to some dumb fashion rule I shouldn't be wearing a skirt of this length at my age but honestly I could care less.  

Outfit Details:

Skirt (old): Nick and Mo, purchased at Bungalow in Kensington Market (similar idea here and here)

Blouse (old): Soaring the Sea Top, Anthropologie

No comments:

Post a Comment