Saturday, August 10, 2013

Dressing Up/Dressing Down







































Over the years and on more than a few occasions, I've had people ask whether I "dress up" everyday, probably because I tend to wear dresses or skirts much of the time. I definitely don't always "dress up"...I mean sometimes jeans, a t-shirt or other more casual attire are necessary. I try not to "wear out" some of my favorite outfits on running errands and usually reserve those for work and events.  But I also really love to "dress up" and feel most comfortable when I"m put together so I do tend to reach for a dress more than I do a pair of khakis. 

The outfit I'm wearing in this photo is typical of what I might wear on a super casual Saturday in the summer when I'm simply running errands. A basic white t-shirt, pull-on dress, a simple necklace and a well used tote bag.  I've mentioned this before but I hate ironing, particularly on the weekends, so I usually pick something that requires little to no ironing when I'm not doing any special. When the weather gets colder, I often wear a pair of sweater leggings, a button-up shirtdress and a pair of boots on my errand days. 

It's kind of funny but for someone who loves super feminine dresses, I don't really bother with much makeup. During the week, I usually wear a bit of light foundation (Clinique's Almost Makeup) and some lip color (Burt's Bee Lip Shimmer in Fig or Plum), while on the weekend (unless I'm going somewhere special) I just wear some moisturizer with SPF (Oil of Olay Sensitive) and Burt's Bee Tinted Lip Balm.

One thing I really love about the age we live in is that everyone has the ability to wear or not wear whatever they want. In the past, there seemed to be a hairstyle everyone had to have, a certain color lipstick that you needed to wear or a length of skirt you had to stick to. Now it's really all about whatever you like to wear which is great because style is a personal thing, not something that is forced on you the "latest" trends, and when you stop to think about it, personal style is a pretty powerful thing.

Outfit Details:

Dress - Steps Clothing

Tote  - MoMA

No comments:

Post a Comment