Friday, August 30, 2013

Days of Unhurried Dressing




I've been trying to wear items in my closet that I've neglected for awhile and one of them is this blouse. When I first bought this blouse a few years ago, it was its romantic shape and the covered buttons all the way down the side that attracted me. Covered buttons get me every time. I think they remind me of a period in history when people took more time getting ready, when getting dressed was an art and life was a little less rushed.  As well as all the buttons and loops (*swoon), the pretty pink almost flesh tone shade and the soft grey feather pattern also seemed like such a timeless print to me.  The blouse is a little fussy so I knew it wasn't something that would be in heavy rotation in my closet but I've probably worn it less than I even imagined I would. There's a lot of material on this one little blouse and while all the swoops and folds adds a dramatic windswept sort of flair, they also can make the wearer feel a little overwhelmed.   This blouse isn't really a good fit for me and is probably better for someone taller and with broader shoulders, but I still love the idea of it. 

A lot of writing about fashion/clothing tells people what to wear or don't wear if you have a particular shape, but I think style is about wearing what captures your imagination or attracts you for some reason.  What I choose to wear is often more about the colors, patterns and designs I'm inspired by or like to have near me, than what is perfectly suited to me (whatever that means...). Besides, if we all followed those "dos and don'ts" or "wear this and not that" type lists what a boring world this would be.

Outfit Details:

Blouse (old) - On-A-Wing Blouse by Byron Lars Beauty Mark, Anthropologie

Skirt (old) - Ballet Midi Skirt from H&M

Gold Belt - vintage/thrifted

No comments:

Post a Comment