Saturday, June 1, 2013

I Never Got to Go to Space Camp…Maybe it’s Not Too Late?




True story: I was desperate to go to Space Camp for a number of years during my childhood.  In Grade 3, when asked what I wanted to be as a grownup, I said an astronaut and artist; in Grade 4, I added writer to that list. One summer I almost had my parents convinced to send me to Space Camp, but my grandparents intervened and I ended up going to Circle Square Ranch with my cousins instead. At least there were horses there….

When Space Camp debuted in movie theaters, my campaign to ‘train like an astronaut’ picked up steam….and it’s also when my crush on Joaquin Phoenix (known as ‘Leaf’ Phoenix at that time) began. Is it a coincidence that Star Wars premiered in the year I was born? I don’t think so (fyi, I still can’t turn off the original trilogy should any of them happen to be on when I flip on the TV).
When I was around 6, I attempted to build my cat Ginger a time machine in the kid’s clubhouse in my grandparent’s yard. Ginger was getting up there in years and I thought that perhaps some time travel would help him regain a few more years.  I had read Time Cat over and over again, as well as watched The Cat From Outer Space and The Three 3 Lives of Thomasina with such regularity that eventually the VHS tapes busted.
image
For many years, the ceiling of my bedroom was covered in glow-in-the-dark stars, planets and comets,  my wall had maps of the solar system and there were a few astronomy and stargazing books on my bookshelf. I lived for camping out in my backyard with some binoculars to stare up at our solar system.
I may still be a little space obsessed. It wasn’t too long ago on a family visit to Walt Disney World in Florida that I lined up to ride Mission: SPACE at EPCOT repeatedly. I’ll watch almost any space theme movie as long as it’s not completely cheesy.  I may even still secretly dream of going to Space Camp.
This is all to say that I didn’t really think twice about purchasing a dress that looked like a page from one of my old solar system books.  A drop waist, virtually wrinkle free dress covered in celestial images, and it happened to be on sale…..what’s not to love? 
image
image
image
Photos taken at MoMA (11 W 53) and Healthy Corner Juice Bar (637 9th Avenue - Try the Hell’s Kitchen juice blend if you go!
This dress is super comfortable (and FUN!) to wear and doesn’t get all full of static or wrinkles as the day progresses which makes it perfect for running errands (or chilling at the AMNH Planetarium).  I also think it works as an all season dress depending on what layers and accessories you add, plus it’s a good base for experimenting with pops of color, neutrals and/or metallics. Brings a whole new meaning to dressing like you’re from a different planet….
Outfit details:
T-shirt (old) - Ocean Pacific 
Leggings (old) -Forever 21 (similar here)
Blue and Gold Metallic Cardigan (old) - Francesca’s 
Sunburst earrings (old) - Francesca’s
Amber disc necklace (super old) - some store in Port Dalhousie, Ontario
Bag (old) - Le Sportsac 
Hat (old) - Kathy Jeanne at Lord and Taylor (similar here)
Boots (old) - Town Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment