Thursday, June 27, 2013

Ruffles on Ruffles






Quick photoset of yesterday’s outfit… 
I notice this neon speakeasy sign with the eyes (reminds me of The Great Gatsby) every time I walk down this street and thought it would make a good backdrop for this particular outfit.
I’ve had this skirt for a few years and tend to only wear it a few times each summer…it’s slightly out of my comfort zone but that’s partly why I like it. Also, I love ruffles! On this skirt the ruffles also stand-in as a peplum design which gives the pencil skirt structure a unique twist.  Of course, my favorite part is where the skirt gathers in the front with 3 little airplanes near the waistband.  
I paired the skirt with a neutral t-shirt that also has some ruffles. On the t-shirt, the ruffles run in the opposite direction from those on the skirt which keeps the look fairly balanced. The t-shirt is completely sheer so underneath I wore a sparkly tank with a Broadway scene that I’ve had forever. I like the slight edge the tank brings to the outfit, sort of like graffiti peering through the sheer top. At work, I wore a green cardigan with white piping and a pair of heels in neutral tones which helped to make this look a little more professional while still playful. For accessories, I opted for a beaded collar and sunburst earrings that seemed very nature inspired, and well suited to all the shades of green I wore.
Figuring out what to pair with a somewhat offbeat piece takes a little trial and error but at least each time you’re guaranteed a unique look.
Outfit Details:
T-shirt (old): I can’t find this t-shirt online but it was purchased at Anthropologie on super sale (similar here and here)
Tank (old): Le Chateau Jr. (not even sure there is a Le Chateau Jr. division anymore?)
Shoes (old; worn in the office): Seychelles Ringsend Heels, from Anthropologie (FYI: These are the most comfortable and sturdy heels ever! I actually bought in two colorways because I loved how comfortable these are. I’m often on my feet at work and can wear these for 8-10 hours straights without any discomfort. If you can track these down, you should definitely buy a pair!).

No comments:

Post a Comment