Saturday, June 15, 2013

One Outfit for a Saturday of Errands, Art Galleries, Railroad Tracks, Shopping, and Lunch


image
Do you ever have one of those days when you’re not entirely sure what to wear because you have a few seemingly unconnected places to go/things to do? This Saturday was definitely one of those for me.
After a week+ of rain and cooler temps., I’ve been anticipating this weekend all week because the forecast showed that sunshine/summer temps. were actually going to make a re-appearance. And they did - it turned out to be a beautiful day!
I left my apt. around 9am to get some errands done (grocery shopping, bunny supplies etc.), dropped all of that off, double checked to make sure the timer on the A/C was set (so Crusader bunny would be nice and cool) and then spent most of the day outside. Also on my list for today was swimsuit shopping, lunch with a friend, checking out the exhibition at the Sean Kelly Gallery and an Art Walk on the final unopened part of the High Line. Can you see why I was indecisive about what to wear?
Normally on a sunny and hot Saturday, I’d throw on an easy breezy sundress and call it a day. I’m kind of thrilled when I don’t need to worry about putting on a pair of tights which during the work week I do even on the hottest of days because museums are always freezing cold. But since the Art Walk today seemed likely to include scratchy plants, bugs and uneven ground I thought a sundress with bare legs was out of the question. I think the outfit I ended up choosing worked well for all the things on my list today - casual and comfortable for errands and walking along the railroad tracks but also appropriate for shopping, lunch and an art gallery.
image
image
Anyone looking for a little piece of Canada in NYC needs to check out the swimsuit floor at Lord and Taylor. Hudson Bay Co. products! I practically ran over to the display!
image
image
I loved Los Carpinteros’ installation, Irreversible, at the Sean Kelly Gallery on 10th Avenue. After seeing The Art of the Brick earlier this week, it was interesting to see the 3 large sculptures made of LEGO in this exhibition. I found these works to be more striking than many of Sawaya’s. The white cube setting of the gallery along with the abstracted form of the sculptures really lets you focus on their shapes, contours and colors and less on the material they are made from. And as fun as it was to see famous art works recreated out of LEGO, there’s something refreshing about seeing the unexpected and unique.
image
image
image
image
image
The Art Walk on the High Line at the Rail Yards was really enjoyable. I can’t wait to see what that section looks like once completed. Carol Bove’s Caterpillar installation was the perfect choice for this location. All of its components were in sync with the landscape, and created sight lines I might not have noticed otherwise. The High Line is such a great vantage point from which to see the city sprawling out all around you. And of course, being just above the Rail Yards there’s also the amazing view of the Hudson. Highly recommend!
Happy weekend!
Outfit Details:
Paige Denim Retro Cruiser Kylie Skinny Cropped Jeans - Purchased at Lord and Taylor (also available here and here)
Winding Road Tank (old) - Little Yellow Button, Anthropologie
White t-shirt (old) - American Eagle
Sneakers (old) - Classic Suprega
Kate Spade Sunnies (old)
Turquoise necklaces and bracelet - have had forever

No comments:

Post a Comment