Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lost in a Storybook















After work today I headed over to The New York Public Library’s Stephen A. Schwarzman building to check out their latest exhibition, “The ABC of it: Why Children’s Books Matter.” I’ll write a more detailed post of the exhibition on Jackie Times as soon as I get a chance to. The New York Public Library always puts together great exhibitions and this one was no exception. I loved seeing some of my favorite childhood books and the installation itself was so playful. The exhibition is on until March 23, 2014 so there’s lots of time to go and see it. I’ll definitely be returning a few more times…there’s so much great content and special surprises that it’s impossible to take it all in the first time through.
Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about how literature has influenced my own style, and how it has influenced fashion. I’ve been slowly putting together a post on this topic and visiting this exhibition also served as inspiration for that. It’s really satisfying how even the glimpse of a treasured book cover or a verse from a well-read book can capture the imagination as if seeing or reading the words for the first time.
The New York Public Library has a quote on its website by W.H. Auden that says, “There are no good books which are only for children.” I agree with all my heart.
Outfit Details:
Necklace - My nana’s pearl necklace
Earrings (old) - ceramic rosebuds, Anthropologie (similar here)

No comments:

Post a Comment