Sunday, September 29, 2013

Going Medieval




































(close up of skirt)

I've always been drawn to Medieval and/or Renaissance Festivals; in fact any chance to "travel back in time" or become lost in another time/place is alright with me.  When I found out about the Medieval Festival in Fort Tryon Park last year I was pretty excited to check it out. Fort Tryon Park, setting for The Cloisters, feels pretty timeless to begin with but pepper it was tents full of fanciful items, costumed characters, and the sounds and smells of another time, and it takes on a life of its own. The Medieval Festival only takes place for one day so I'm happy that I was able to make it back for a second year. The weather was perfect, unlike last year when I ended up getting completely drenched.  Rain or shine, it's always fun to leave the modern world behind for a little while and get swept up in an idealized version of the age of chivalry. I have to say that one of the highlights for me is the train ride to The Cloisters....hilarious seeing the cars packed with knights, princesses, magicians, and all sorts of nobility, mythical creatures and medieval townsfolk. 

The "one minute it's warm and the next it's cool" weather this time of year always makes getting dressed a little complicated in my opinion as I mentioned yesterday's post so again I found myself wearing a bunch of light layers. I may not have wore a medieval costume but I felt like my outfit fit the setting, and I was probably a lot more comfortable than anyone who was in full costume.  Speaking of costumes, I was very tempted by some of the lovely costumes, headdresses and jewelry at the festival; Medieval and Renaissance Festivals always have the best artisans but from past experiences a Merlin necklace, flower chain hairpiece or a long flowing cloak doesn't seem so practical the next day.

Outfit Details:

Pants (old): Dex

Blouse (old): thrifted/vintage

Grey T-shirt: Perfect Fit Tee, J Crew

Skirt (old):  thrifted/vintage

Jacket: Nanette Lepore via Ebay

Bag (old): Betsy Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment