Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tale of a Pouffy Skirt










































































































































Tale of a Pouffy Skirt

As you may have already guessed by now Anthropologie is one of my favorite stores. I definitely shop at other places but I always return to Anthropologie. Not only do their classic/whimsical/vintage-like clothing appeal to my aesthetic but I love the variety of designers they feature. I can always rely on them for colorful fabrics, unique prints, and beautiful details. They also have excellent customer service and in general I've had great experiences whether shopping in their store or online. Something else I really appreciate about Anthropologie? Their amazing sales! Every piece in this outfit in fact, aside from the bag and hat (neither of which are from Anthropologie), was purchased on super sale. A complete outfit from Anthropologie for under $60? It can be done.

I have a confession to make though. As much as I like (sort of) this skirt now, it wasn't always the case. Sure I liked it when I saw it online and loved when I happened to find it in the sale room all by its lonesome and for only $10, but at home it was a different story. This skirt is all kinds of pouffy.  I mean if you want to add some extra padding to your frame then this is the skirt for you. Does anyone really want that look? Probably not. And yet, this skirt is still pretty cute. The color, the fabric, the embroidery...all things I like.  I was so conflicted.   That basically sums up my dilemma once this skirt was in my closet. I'd take it out and then put it back. I even listed it for sale on ebay once and then removed it a couple weeks later.  I clearly had (have?) a love/hate thing with this skirt.

But today I decided to wear it out, vowing to make it work. And you know what? I kind of like this skirt (again).  I may not always be in a mood to wear such a pouffy skirt, but at least I know I won't be ignoring it anymore. And as an extra bonus, I did learn that this skirt is perfect if you want to sit comfortably on an extra hard chair.

All kidding aside (not kidding actually...), the trick to wearing this shape of skirt is thinking about how to balance it out. A fitted shirt, a belt, and a chunky necklace really help to even things out so to speak.  If it wasn't for the fact that I was walking all over the place today, I probably would have slipped on a mid-size heel with this outfit to minimize the pouff factor a little more.  But all things considered, I don't think the boots look terrible with this, although a more fitted lace-up pair would definitely look better.

So really the question is: To pouff or not to pouff? 

Outfit Details:

Skirt (old): Alpine Dream by Odille, Anthropologie

Shirt (old): Here and There Tee, Anthropologie

Footless Tights (old): purchased on pop-back from Anthropologie but not sure of the brand

Belt (old): Triumvirate Belts, Anthropologie

Necklace: Starry Bib Necklace, Anthropologie (still available at $14.95, originally retailed for $58.00)

Bag: Purchased at work staff sale 2012, Lilah Bag Collection, Fernanda Cohen

Hat (old): Lord and Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment