Saturday, September 14, 2013

Little Blue Dress















































































































































Little Blue Dress

This electric blue dress caught my eye when it first showed up on Anthropologie's website some time ago. It reminded me of something you'd see in a book of fairy tales, like something Snow White would wear if her story happened to be set in 2013.  When I had a chance to see the dress up close I was really impressed by the heavy fabric and loved the embossed pattern. I knew it would become a wardrobe staple.  There really isn't anything it doesn't go with and it can easily be worn from September into late Spring. I sometimes refer to this as my presentation dress because it's such a trustworthy garment that I've worn it for several presentations. It doesn't wrinkle, it holds it shape, it's not too short or too long, and I'm never too hot or too cold in it. It's also a simple dress that still manages to be interesting without being too fussy or fancy, practically an all-occasion kind of dress.

I've worn this dress several ways recently. For work, I played with its primary color by adding splashes of red (Monogram's Printed Panel Cardigan) and yellow (my favorite Co-Lab by Christopher Kon bag, last seen here), along with a punch of black and white (Kate Spade for Keds polka dot sneakers). The mix of primary colors and shapes transformed this subtle dress into something much more playful and artsy. If I wanted to up the playfulness of this look, swapping out the solid yellow purse for my candy wrapper clutch would be a quick way to accomplish that.

The last couple of mornings have been a bit cooler so I threw on a blazer over this dress. A structured beige blazer gave the dress a polished office friendly look. To keep it from looking too business-like, I pulled on a navy and blue bow belt over the blazer. The belt also helped to minimize the boxy cut of this particular blazer. If I worked in an office where business attire was the rule I think this would be a totally appropriate look (maybe sans bow belt though).

For a more casual weekend look, a pale scarf with neon hued hot air balloons, the addition of a t-shirt and my go-to boots were the perfect additions for a relaxed day. I love how the lighter blue of the t-shirt sleeves peek out from the dress sleeves so that they almost appear part of the dress.

This little blue dress is my version of a little black dress - all the versatility but with more color.

Outfit Details:





Light Blue T-Shirt (old): Peanuts/Snoopy Tee from Uniqlo


No comments:

Post a Comment