Monday, October 7, 2013

Turn the Channel











































This weekend flew by but there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to this week so I have no complaints. It was sort of dreary out today but I liked it. I'm finding myself longing for a true autumn day.  Uncharacteristically, I ended up wearing black and white from head to toe today (and to add to the uncharacteristic ensemble, I wore pants!). 

If you look closely you'll notice polka dots (on the pants), bunnies (on the shirt), and a bow (on the jacket) so not really as dark or as urban as this outfit might first appear.  It's funny but lately I've been drawn to some clothing items that are definitely out of comfort zone, like plaid skinny denim pants and a black lace blouse. I'm still a sucker for bright colors and twirly dresses, but it's good to mix things up. 

It's interesting how when you wear something different from what you usually do it can have such an impact on your outlook. I definitely feel like I'm in disguise or something when I put on clothes that fall outside my usual style. In all things I think it's important to find ways to extend beyond one's comfort zone and to see things from different perspectives.  While pushing styling limits may seem insignificant compared with other aspects of life, I still think it's a good test. Tapping into new styles stretches creativity and really makes one reflect on personal style preferences.  Clothes are more than things we wear, they are messages and reflections of ourselves.  And while we all may have a message we choose to project more often, it's nice to switch the channel every now and then.

Outfit Details:

Pants (old): AG Stevie Polka Dot (I actually purchased these from Lord and Taylor but their link is now longer active; you can find a lot of AG Stevie polka dot denim on Ebay right now)

Shirt (old): Banter Tee, Anthropologie

Jacket: Nanette Lepore via Ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment