Sunday, May 4, 2014

Seasonal Shifts and Wardrobe Change-Ups






Image source

Winter hung on a little longer this year but I think it's safe to say that warmer days are ahead of us. In general most of my wardrobe is fairly seasonless, or at least I can make a lot of things work all year long by layering and re-combining. Sometimes all you need is a pair of tights, a cardigan and a blouse to turn a summer dress into a winter creation. But there are some things that you just can't make work all year long, like heavy knit items, thick cords and certain color combinations. Fall and winter stuff can also take up a lot of valuable real estate in your closet and dresser drawers especially if you have a super tiny closet like I do. So early yesterday morning I devoted several hours to changing out my wardrobe, which meant pulling apart my closet, dresser drawers and storage containers. I'm pretty happy with the results, and thrilled (relieved!) to see some of those warmer layers tucked away.




Here are a few tips for making the most out of a small space and for making seasonable wardrobe change-ups a little more organized.







































Always insert a sturdy heavy duty closet rod in your closet. Winter coats and warm fabrics are heavy and can pull down those flimsy closet rods typically found in closets when you first move in. Add soft compartment storage within your closet, like over-the-door shoe organizers, shelving that can be hung up inside the closet and other similar products.


A sturdy shelf above the closet rod is also super helpful for keeping bulkier items neatly arranged. Backpacks can be great places for storing sweaters.


I always keep the packaging from bed linens as well as any dress bags. They are perfect for storing clothing so that everything stays in good condition but also allows you to maximize space.


 Smaller zip-up plastic cases work great for keeping wool scarfs, gloves and leg warmers together so they are ready for next winter (but let's not think about that).


For a small space, over-the-door shoe organizers are really useful not just for storing shoes but for keeping belts and jewelry orderly. On the outside of my closet I keep the shoes I wear most often within easy reach. I also like to keep a few extra shoe bags tugged into the pockets of the organizer so I can easily throw a pair of shoes into my work bag. This is also where I keep the belts I wear most often so that I don't have to go searching for them in the morning. Inside the MoMA bag, hung up on a hook, I keep a variety of fold up tote bags which always come in handy.


I think the final result of all my reorganization yesterday turned out well and will definitely make reaching for my favorite summer pieces a lot easier (more efficient!).


Another bonus about taking the time to reorganize your wardrobe? Finding items you forgot about. I bought this vintage Hawaiian print sundress many years ago and I can't wait to wear it again this summer. This might be the perfect dress to wear for #mypolke.  

 Do you reorganize your closet and/or wardrobe with each season? What are your favorite tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment